I Left My Heart In Haiti

When I say I left my heart in Haiti, I really did. It's funny how one small thing can change your life forever. That was what it was like for me on our last day in Haiti. We were supposed to go to one more orphanage on our way to the airport. Traveling through Port-au-Prince, however, we hit lots of standstill traffic. I can admit that I was tired and my energy level was pretty low. I remember thinking....if we don't have time to go to the last orphanage than that is okay with me.

I sit here now thinking about the wonderful opportunity I would have missed out on simply by being tired. From the moment I stepped off the bus, this little girl grabbed my hand and stood hugging me. I discovered quickly that regardless
the language barrier, you could determine pretty quickly the personality of the children. Most of them were excited, full of energy, funny, TROUBLE =), kind. This little girl had such a sweet heart. She was so loving, calm, and patient when other kids were playing a little more eagerly. I remember finding a rock and trying to play tic tac toe with her on the ground. She told me in Creole that she would be right back. When she came back a skit had begun so she sat down beside me, and again, held my hand. I started trying to draw with the rock again and then she showed me that she had gone to get chalk. I remember thinking how precious she was that she waited so patiently for me to be ready to play (it was not always like this with the other children...lol). I fought back tears the entire time I was with her thinking, "How am I going to leave you here?"

I waited all week wondering if there was one child I would instantly bond to. I never dreamed that on my last day I would make such a connection. Her name is Jodelynn and she is 9 years old. Her clothes were dirty, she is lucky to get two meals a day, and she may not always have a bed to sleep on......but she GLOWED in my eyes! I am so thankful that the Lord allowed me to meet this little girl. She is written on my heart and I continue to think and pray for her every day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Can Have Me

Holy HATS!!!

They're Watching...