Make Room for the "BUT"

4 months. It has been approximately 4 months since I last wrote on this blog. From the outside looking in, so much about my life has been changed over the course of that time. From the inside looking out, however, everything has changed. My heart and my head have been in a daily battle. "I have been hurting. Life is hard. I don't know who I am anymore. Things aren't going like I hoped they would. I am not happy." etc, etc, etc, whine, whine, whine

And then there was David.

I was sitting on the floor, completely broken, completely humbled, sobbing to Lord. I talk to the Lord often, but am guilty of not seeking Him like I should. Feeling defeated, I reached over, grabbed my roommate's Bible, and opened it to the page that was marked. Psalm 31. As I read the words of David, my heart began to cry with him. I couldn't have written the words in that moment any better.
"....I will be glad and rejoice in your love, for you saw my affliction and knew the anguish of my soul. You have not handed me over to the enemy but have set my feet in a spacious place. Be merciful to me, O Lord, for I am in distress. My eyes grow weak with sorrow, my soul and body with grief. My life is consumed by anguish and my years by groaning. My strength fails because of my affliction, and my bones grow weak. .....I have become like broken pottery...."
Can you feel that? I sure could!!! David was hurting. Life was hard. He was clearly not happy. His life was not going as he hoped if would. (....wait for it....)
.....BUT.....
"I trust in you, O Lord; I say, 'You are my God.' My times are in your hands."
How much did David get it? He knew how to hurt and hurt well. He was real; he was honest; he wasn't afraid to be transparent. BUT.....he also knew what so many of us forget in the midst of our fears, sorrows, longings.....David knew who to give it to.

I forget so often that I am not the first to cry out to the Lord. I am not the first person he has had to counsel. He does understand, has walked in my shoes, has felt utter despair. And I believe in reminding me of David's words, the Lord was giving me a clear message. "It is time to make a little room in your life....for the BUT."

Comments

  1. great words... "BUT" is a beautiful reminder we're NOT alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What sweet encouragement and a needed reminder! You are not alone girl...just know that! I really love that scripture and your words!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grumbling

You Can Have Me