Sap!

Yes, I am a self-proclaimed sap...and proud of it! I can't help it...was born with the gene...to feel vastly and love deeply! So I am admitting to the world that I struggle with the concept of love sometimes. I know movies are movies and books are books, and that we can't compare real love to what we discover in stories. However, there is a part of me that is conflicted with that response. I believe that as people, if we are able to be moved enough to not only write stories/movies of such depth, then somewhere, someone has had to "feel" that intensely. In my heart, it can't just be dreamed up. How could the God that has given us the ability to dream so far not also give us the capacity to love just as great?

So the purpose of my post.....I have just finished reading Wuthering Heights. I have really enjoyed reading the classics lately. I love finding myself in a different time period, allowing these books to be my eyes into the way life was long before me. I was so excited to read this book, yet felt so tragically sad as I finished it. While the book was filled with rough characters, despising moments, and deep heartbreak....the common theme was love. Heathcliff loved Catherine, and Catherine loved Heathcliff. She spoke of loving him so much so that she felt as if his very soul reflected her own. Yet she married another, and they were never to be together. Other than a brief moment before her death, were they able to humbly confess their love and wrap themselves within each others arms. And Heathcliff loved none other until the day he died.

I realize that I may be spoiling the book for those of you who have not read it, but I think of their story and my heart breaks. How do you go through life loving someone with all that you are and never be able to be with that person? How do you find joy in life if part of you feels so empty? Maybe you don't, and you would react just as Heathcliff did....angry, bitter, hurt! I think we as humans can almost relate more to that storyline than one with a happy ending.

"The greater the love, the greater the fall.....except for the times, when love conquers all." I think I am going for a happy ending on my next read!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Can Have Me

They're Watching...

Holy HATS!!!